This and that: Homemade turtles

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Homemade turtles

Pecans, chocolate and caramel...
Aren't those the best things ever
I love making homemade chocolates,
you can give them for gifts or just eat them yourself...
and they taste so much better then the store bought ones
Because you did them with love...
I learnt to make
Homemade Turtles
many years ago and bought turtle molds so that they looked like turtles.
My molds are starting to look old and I wasn't even sure you could buy them anymore
So I went on line and found them...
You can buy them from Global Sugar Art

I usually buy my caramel ~ using either Werther's or Kraft
This year I decided to make my own... you can find the recipe here.
And the chocolate that I like using is Ghirardelli or Hershey and often I will combine them.
You can also use chocolate wafers if you want.
I don't have a double boiler, so I melt my chocolate in a dish that is over a pot filled with water

I don't have a recipe for these, so will just show you what I do..

First get everything ready.. Melt your chocolate I just leave it in my pot with hot water
so that it stays melted.
Have your caramels, pecans and molds ready.

melted chocolate, caramels, pecans and mold






a picture of the mold I used.

Drop a teaspoon or so of chocolate at the bottom of the mold.
Place a small amount of caramel on the round part of the pecan and 
place it caramel side down on the chocolate.
*** Make sure you have the flat side of the pecan facing up or you will have a pregnant turtle.



Cover the mold with chocolate.
I use a small brush to move the chocolate around the mold and fill them in.

Chill until firm.
You can place them in the freezer or do what I do, put them outside on my porch to harden.
Once hardened, turn the molds upside down and gently tap to release the turtle.
Occasional a limb or head might fall off...
You can glue them back on by using a small brush and melted chocolate.


8 comments :

  1. sounds great and I love turtles, but none of the pictures are showing up, all links are broken :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dawn... I am not sure why you are not seeing the pictures and I have no idea what is going on with my links... I can get them when I am on my phone but not on here.

      Delete
  2. you know I love these. Thanks for sharing on FF. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see the pictures and they are so perfect looking. You could have a Turtle store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that you finally can see the pictures Sue.. Google + has decided that I have used too many pictures and wants ,me to pay to put more on and I am too cheap ~ so looking for other ways to put them on here.

      Delete
  4. What kind of chocolate do you use? MIlk chocolate, semi sweet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use milk chocolate most of the time when I make chocolate as it is my favorite.. often I will add a small bit of dark chocolate to the mixture.

      Delete

Please stop for a moment and leave a comment to let me know you have been here. I love reading all your comments.

I am sorry but I cannot accept Anonymous comments anymore as I am getting too many spam. I hope that you will comment with an ID user. Thanks for understanding.

I will not be accepting comments that have links on them. I will not delete them but because of google's stance on links I do not want to have any problems with my blog. Thank you for your understanding.