This and that: Granola Bars... the most delicious ones yet.

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Granola Bars... the most delicious ones yet.

 Fri
I love granola bars and my husband eats them like they are going out of style...
and I finally found a bar that works for us...
tastes good, not too sweet
and has fruit..
YUM!


Fruity Granola Bar

adapted from All-recipes.com 
2 cups rolled oats
1/4 cup brown sugar*
1/2 cup flax
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup shredded coconut
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup dried fruit (I use cranberries, apricots and mangoes)*
1/2 cup honey
1 egg beaten
1/2 cup coconut oil ( I use Tropical Traditions Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil) melted
2 tsp vanilla 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish generously. 
In large bowl mix together rolled oats, brown sugar, flax, cinnamon, nutmeg, coconut, flour, salt, and dried fruit. Make a well in the center of ingredients.  In separate bowl mix honey, egg, coconut oil and vanilla and pour into dry ingredients.  With hand mix everything together and pat into baking dish.
Bake for 30 - 35 minutes until edges start turning brown.  Cool for 5 minutes and then cut into bars.  Cool the rest of the way.  You need to cut them after 5 minutes or they will be too hard to cut.

*I have omitted the brown sugar entirely and they still turn out.  
* when using dried fruit the majority is the cranberries and then added cut apricots and mangoes for the rest. Cut in small pieces
**  I have also doubled the recipe and still used the 9 X 13 pan.. they are thicker and I cut them into thinner pieces.

Enjoy!


These are great for breakfast and breakfast on the go, and for snacks.
They also would be a good Christmas gift to give for people that are on the go..

Enhanced by Zemanta

18 comments :

  1. I need to try this recipe... my kids go through granola bars faster than I can buy them!

    Thanks for sharing,

    ¤´¨)
    ¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
    (¸.·´ (¸.·`¤... Jennifer
    http://jennsrandomscraps.blogspot.ca/
    http://pinterest.com/jennp6/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenn Let me know what you think if you try it...

      Delete
  2. I make granola, but have never made granola bars! These looks so good. I love the photography also! I am off to pin this for later use! Thanks for sharing!

    Cynthia at http://FeedingBig.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cynthia... you are always so good for my ego :)

      Delete
  3. Those look so yummy and I love the way your wrapped them up. We are in the middle of holiday baking too and filling our gift baskets for the holidays. Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elena... I hope you have a wonderful and blessed holiday.

      Delete
  4. These look delicious! Sharing on Walking on Sunshine FB page! Thanks for sharing on FFF!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to make granola bars, never used eggs before. Sounds interesting! Thanks for sharing at Foodie Friends Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are the first I have made and love them.

      Delete
  6. I love this recipe, definitely going to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These were absolutely delicious!! My husband and I can't get enough of them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These were absolutely delicious!!! Fairly inexpensive to make as well, I had most of the ingredients in the house already. My husband loved them! Definitely making these again and again :)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad that you liked them Paolina. We love them too. I need to make them again soon.

      Delete
  9. i love granola bars but have never tried to make my own. pinned this I would love it if you could share it on my link party Serenity Saturday

    Natasha @ Serenity You

    ReplyDelete
  10. Goodness do these ever sound good! I love the combination of dried fruit, coconut and honey.

    ReplyDelete

Please stop for a moment and leave a comment to let me know you have been here. I love reading all your comments.

I am sorry but I cannot accept Anonymous comments anymore as I am getting too many spam. I hope that you will comment with an ID user. Thanks for understanding.

I will not be accepting comments that have links on them. I will not delete them but because of google's stance on links I do not want to have any problems with my blog. Thank you for your understanding.