This and that: Pineapple Coconut Dessert

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Pineapple Coconut Dessert

I am a big fan of Taste of Home Cookbooks and have many of them.  I always feel that their cookbooks are tried and true.  A couple of weeks ago my hubby took one of the cookbooks down and was thumbing through it and telling me all of the recipes he thought I should try.......
The funny part are some of them I had already made or at least made them somewhat like the recipe but because they didn't look like the pictures he didn't think he had eaten them.  Long story short, I made this recipe from  Taste of Home Guilt Free Cooking.


Pineapple Coconut Dessert

Ingredients:
Crust:
2 tbsp butter, melted
3 tbsp sugar (I used Zulka Morena Pure Sugar)
1 egg
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder

2 cans (8 ounces each) unsweetened crushed pineapple, drained (I used 20 ounce can)

Topping:
1 tbsp butter, melted
1 cup sugar (I used Zulka Morena Pure Sugar)
2 eggs
2 cup flaked coconut (I used sweetened coconut)

Directions:
Coat 9 inch square baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.  Preheat oven 325 degrees.
To make crust:  beat butter and sugar together in mixing bowl.  Add egg and beat.  Combine flour and baking powder and stir into egg mixture.
Press into 9 inch square dish.
Spread crush pineapple over crust.
To make topping:  Beat butter and sugar in mixing bowl.  Add eggs and beat.  Stir in coconut.
Spread coconut mixture over pineapple.
Bake at 325 degrees for 35-40 minutes until topping is a golden brown.  Cool.  Cut into squares.


Verdict:  Wonderful light, not too sweet dessert. This dessert would be perfect after a big meal.  I think that it tasted even better the second day when all the flavours came together.  The only thing that I may do differently is decrease the crust slightly.  I am thinking maybe that I could slightly reduce the flour as the crust seemed too thick.

 Linked Up to these great blogs:  Kitchen Dreaming Weekend Social

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
 Disclaimer: “This and That is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.”
Enhanced by Zemanta

10 comments :

  1. Two of my favorites in one dish. Thanks for testing it out for us Marlys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks and sounds delicious. I love coconut.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM! Just need a pina colada to go along with it and I'm set!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Marlys! That looks delicious! I love pineapple and coconut, so I think I will try this...I'll let you know how it turns out. BTW, I love the Taste of Home magazine, always yummy looking recipes.
    Dawn
    @ A Place for Pictures and Memories

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I do love coconut - o.k. I've said it, now Marlys I'm going to have to try this delicious and EASY recipe. I know I will enjoy it. I don't have any Taste of Home cookbooks but I occasionally buy a magazine and often make recipes that are listed - they always turn out well.

    Thanks for sharing,
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks wonderful! Thank you for linking it up Friday at our Weekend Social on Kitchen Dreaming! We hope to see you again this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just took this out of the oven, smells divine!! It's for my dad's b'day dinner so I have to wait and let y'all know what the verdict is, I'm sure it's goin' to be good one. :)
    I did make a couple changes...I added 4 ounces cream cheese to the crust mixture and I only had pineapple chunks so I whirled them in the food processor and left 'some' of the juice.
    Just a note, the crust ingredient list is missing the egg that is mentioned in the mixing instructions.
    Thanks for sharing Marlys!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a keeper! The coconut custard with the pineapple layer underneath is so yummy. I will be changing the crust, it may just need more butter (eek!...lol) and leave out the egg and cream cheese (my bad) to give it more of a shortbread texture. Thanks, again, Marlys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of the cream cheese and I am going to try it the next time I make this dessert. Glad that you liked it Tina and super glad that you came back and let me know the results.

      Delete
  9. This looks YUMMY! Thanks for sharing with Foodie Friends Friday.

    ReplyDelete

Please stop for a moment and leave a comment to let me know you have been here. I love reading all your comments.

I am sorry but I cannot accept Anonymous comments anymore as I am getting too many spam. I hope that you will comment with an ID user. Thanks for understanding.

I will not be accepting comments that have links on them. I will not delete them but because of google's stance on links I do not want to have any problems with my blog. Thank you for your understanding.