This and that: Crazy Ingredient Challenge ~ Tomatoes and Coconut #crazyingredientchallenge

Friday, September 20, 2013

Crazy Ingredient Challenge ~ Tomatoes and Coconut #crazyingredientchallenge





This month has gone by like a flash.  It is a good thing that I did my CIC early or I would not be posting today.  What is CIC, you ask.  Each month we are given two ingredients and we need to come up with a recipe with these two ingredients.  We are given the ingredients on the first of the month and post on the 20th.  You can decide if you want to join each month, which is great.  There is a button at the bottom of the post that you can click to find out more information.


This month's challenge is Tomato and Coconut.  For me it wasn't too much of a challenge as I have used these two ingredients together. Other recipes that I have made are:  Coconut Rice with Shrimp and Peach Salsa.  My recipe today has some of the same ingredients Tomatoes, Coconut and Shrimp.  This recipe has a couple of steps but it is delicious...or at least we think so.
Roasted Basil Tomato and Coconut Shrimp on a Bed of Rice

Ingredients:
Roasted Tomatoes
2 cups Tomatoes
1 heaping Tablespoons Basil Oil (mine is left in the fridge so solidifies some)
3-4 miniature peppers sliced
onions slices
Coconut Shrimp
1 lb shrimp
2 egg whites
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/2 tsp salt
pinch cayenne pepper
1 tsp Chinese Five Spice
1/2 cup coconut (I used sweetened coconut)
Coconut oil to fry
Rice cooked as directed

Directions:
Roasted Tomatoes  
Mix Tomatoes and Basil Oil together.  Place on baking sheet.  Bake at 325 for 40-60 minutes (depending on size of tomatoes) until the start to wilt and wrinkle.   I used roma tomatoes from my garden and they took about 40.  Place peppers and onions and bake for at least 10 more minutes.


Coconut Shrimp
While tomatoes are roasting, beat 2 egg whites in a bowl.  Mix bread crumbs salt, cayenne pepper, Chinese five spice and coconut in a bowl.  Devein shrimp.  Dredge Shrimp in egg whites and coat with bread crumb mixture.  Fry in coconut oil until crisp.  (You could also bake the shrimp).

Assembly:  On plate place rice (you could also make coconut rice) add roasted tomatoes and shrimp.  Enjoy!

If you would like to join this great group that Jutta from Hungry Little Girl started just click on the button below.  It is a lot of fun.. and takes you outside of the box and possible your comfort zone.  I can't wait to see what next months Ingredients are... Can you.

HunngryLittleGirl











Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Enhanced by Zemanta

9 comments :

  1. YUM. Can't wait to try this one

    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, the shrimp looks perfect and so do the tomatoes! I love the combo of the spices! Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love coconut shrimp! The addition of roasted tomatoes must make it divine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you used Chinese five spice in your dish. I bet that worked really well and I never would have thought to add it in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you roasted your tomatoes! What a great way to bring out a robust flavor. Mmmm and coconut shrimp! Yumm. So what time's dinner? I like the addition of the five spice. I never seem to remember about that one. Great combination! Krista @ A Handful of Everything

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks wonderful! Love the addition of roasted tomatoes and peppers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just mouthwatering....looks easy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Please stop for a moment and leave a comment to let me know you have been here. I love reading all your comments.

I am sorry but I cannot accept Anonymous comments anymore as I am getting too many spam. I hope that you will comment with an ID user. Thanks for understanding.

I will not be accepting comments that have links on them. I will not delete them but because of google's stance on links I do not want to have any problems with my blog. Thank you for your understanding.