This and that: Cinnamon Wreath with a Twist

Monday, September 9, 2013

Cinnamon Wreath with a Twist

I am a big fan of cinnamon rolls, especially ones  with lots and lots of raisins.  My husband on the other hand really doesn't like them.. he is not a big fan of cinnamon ~~~ So that just means more for me.  I don't make them very much for that reason. 

This time when I made them I decided not to do the normal rolls/buns and make a wreath braid and not just a regular wreath where you roll your dough, and then every 1/2 inch or so cut into the wreath about 3/4 ways.  I wanted to do twist.
The recipe that I use is from my Auntie Ann and I am not sure where she got it from.  I now usually only make half the recipe but will give you the whole recipe.  Half of the recipe gives you 2 twists and a few cinnamon buns, depending on how big that you make them.

Cinnamon Wreath with a Twist  


Ingredients:
3 cups scalded milk ( I usually skim)
3 eggs beaten
2 pkg Fleischmann's active dry yeast (4-5 tsp) with water and sugar to proof the yeast
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter (melted)
2 tsp salt
8-10 cups flour
1 tsp cardamom (optional)

Filling
1 cup melted margarine
2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup cinnamon (you could add more or less if you like)

Glaze
1/2 cup powdered sugar
enough milk to make powdered sugar runny

Directions:
In a small bowl dissolve yeast in 1 cup of lukewarm water with 2 tsp sugar.  Let sit and proof for 10 minutes.  For more information on proofing yeast go HERE.
In sauce pan or microwave safe dish bring milk to a boil either on the stove or in the microwave.  Set aside to cool slightly (a couple of minutes).
In mixing boil add sugar, melted butter, salt and eggs.  Mix until thoroughly mixed.
Add milk and yeast and mix.
Add 2 cups of flour and mix with mixer.  Continue to add flour and mix with dough hook or knead until dough is easily handled.  
Let rise for 1 hour in warm place.  I usually cover with clean tea towel on top of my oven or in front of oven door that is on warm.
Knead and let rise again for 1 hour.  Dough will be doubled in size. 
Remove approx 1/3 or 1/4 of the dough and roll out on floured area so that dough is approx 10 X 20 inches. Drizzle approx 1/4 -1/3 cup of melted butter over dough and spread with your hands.
Mix brown sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over melted butter (depending on your taste) about 1/4 or 1/3 of the  mixture.
Roll dough along the long size of your dough.  At this time if you want to make cinnamon rolls, cut into 1/2 inch pieces and place in pan that is covered with melted margarine and brown sugar.  If you want to make a twist, cut dough in half lengthwise until you are about 1 1/2 inches from top.  Braid two lengths and bring into a wreath shape and pinch ends together.  Place on cookie sheet.
I then added more butter to top and sprinkled more brown sugar and cinnamon over the top of the wreath.
Let sit and rise for about 1/2 hour or so.
Bake at 350 until lightly brown.  Approximately 20 minutes.
Cool slightly and drizzle with powdered sugar and milk mixture.




Notes: 
* You may need more brown sugar and cinnamon mixture, Depending on how much you place on the dough.  
*I do use quick rising yeast with the recipe.  Add your yeast to the first couple of cups of flour when you mix them in.  That works for me.
*This recipe works great with my Kitchen  Aide Dough hook.  With 1/2 the recipe I don't even have to use my hands to knead the dough before the first rising.

enjoy!

You could also make this wreath twist with my Pulla Recipe.
Enhanced by Zemanta

3 comments :

  1. I have never baked bread...the darn yeast gets me all the time! This looks so yummy and perfect for every season! Thanks for sharing it Marlys! Really good as all your recipes. Hugs, Lizy co host at Fluster Buster Party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have your husband's share!! This looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sure do wish I had some of this awesome pastry right now with my morning coffee!! But I don't have the patience for making it on my own.

    ReplyDelete

Please stop for a moment and leave a comment to let me know you have been here. I love reading all your comments.

I am sorry but I cannot accept Anonymous comments anymore as I am getting too many spam. I hope that you will comment with an ID user. Thanks for understanding.

I will not be accepting comments that have links on them. I will not delete them but because of google's stance on links I do not want to have any problems with my blog. Thank you for your understanding.