This and that: Apple Caramel Oatmeal Cookies #fillthecookiejar

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Apple Caramel Oatmeal Cookies #fillthecookiejar



It is Fill the Cookie Jar time again and my cookie jar has been empty so need to fill it up.  This group was started by Cynthia from Feeding Big through Facebook.  Each month we are given a theme and we can decide if we want to join or not.  It is up to use, you don't have to join every month.  That is one thing I like about this group... But of course I love cookies so of course I am here with another what I think is a great cookie.


This month's theme is Fall and when I think of fall I think of apples and caramels and apple pie.  I wanted to make something  that reminded me of apple pie.  These cookies are quite like apple pie but more like apple crumble.  They are chewy cookies... full of lots of flavor.  As I am writing this and looking at last month's cookie,  I just realized I made an oatmeal cookie last month too... Craisin, White Chocolate Marshmallow Oatmeal Cookie .  Are you seeing a pattern?

Apple Caramel Oatmeal Cookies


Apple, Caramel, Oatmeal oh - my, Drizzled with Chocolate a double oh- my.
Ingredients:
1 cup butter
1 1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cup flour ( I used 1 cup white flour and 1/2 cup whole wheat)
3 cups oatmeal
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3/4 tsp nutmeg
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 cup dried apples diced
1 1/2 cup caramel bits (or caramels cut up in small pieces)
melted chocolate to drizzle (optional)

Directions:
Preheat oven 350 degrees
In mixer blend sugar and butter until creamy, scraping sides and bottom. 
Add eggs and continue to blend. 
Add vanilla and blend.  Scrape sides and bottom to make sure everything is blended together and there are no clumps of sugar or butter.
In separate bowl mix flour, oatmeal, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon.
Add dry ingredients slowly to butter/sugar/egg mixture and mix until everything is combined.  Do not over mix as this will could make your cookies dry and crumbly.
Add diced apples and caramel bits.
Drop on cookie sheet covered with baking mat ( I have Artisan Metal Works Silicone Baking Mats)*.
Bake for 12 minutes at 350 degrees.
Cookies will look slightly moist on top but will continue to cook when you take them out of the oven.  Leave on cookie sheet for a couple of minutes and then transfer them to baking rack to cool.
Drizzle with melted chocolate (optional)


* It is easier if you have a baking mat on your cookie sheet as with the caramels they will stick to your cookie sheet.  I did bake some on only the cookie sheet, it took longer to get them off without scrunching up the cookie into a ball.

Great with a glass of Milk



Links: Fluster Buster's Creative Muster, Saturday Spotlight #34, Tasty Thursdays, The Weekend Retreat



Enhanced by Zemanta

17 comments :

  1. SO MANY great new apple cookie recipes to try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made some similar cookies and didn't post them for this because they were so hard to get off the parchment I lined my cookie sheet with. I used fresh apple though, so maybe that made them too wet. I am definitely going to have to try them your way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you and I made the same recipe! Great minds think alike!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Marlys you make me speechless! I am not kidding when I say that these cookies look perfect and way better than any cookie you can buy at the store! I can guarantee you that I will make them this Fall!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay now after reading your recipe and looking at your beautiful photos, I want your cookies and a tall glass of milk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need a dozen of these! Caramel apple is one of my favorite flavors and these look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds delicious Marlys. I think I gained 5 pounds this morning, the recipes are all so scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look and sound delicious! Once the weather cools down I'm going to have to whip up a batch!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look so good! I love caramel apple flavor too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness! I want to have one of these cookies right now! Thanks for sharing them with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Caramel and apples? You're talking my language!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG...not only Oatmeal cookies are my favorite but you really took them over the top with caramel and apples! My mouth is watering here!!! Thank you so much for sharing at Fluster Buster party Marlys! This looks delicious, Lizy

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look amazing Marlys and the photograph is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much for sharing this post on The Best Blog Recipes Link Party (The Weekend re-Treat) this week! Wanted to stop by and Pin your post to My Link Party Recipes Board!

    Shauna
    http://thebestblogrecipes.com/

    We’d also love for you to start submitting some recipes to our new site http://thebestblogrecipesgallery.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love these cookies Marlys. We just finished the last of our holiday cookies. I think I'll make these this weekend to replenish our cookie stash. Thanks for sharing on FFF Best of 2013, I'm sharing and pinning.

    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds great! Oatmeal cookies are always a favorite with me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. G'day! Great round up Marlys, true!
    Wish I could reach through the screen, get my hand smacked and try one of your cookies right now!
    Cheers! Joanne

    ReplyDelete

Please stop for a moment and leave a comment to let me know you have been here. I love reading all your comments.

I am sorry but I cannot accept Anonymous comments anymore as I am getting too many spam. I hope that you will comment with an ID user. Thanks for understanding.

I will not be accepting comments that have links on them. I will not delete them but because of google's stance on links I do not want to have any problems with my blog. Thank you for your understanding.