This and that: Steak Dinner

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Steak Dinner

I will be the first to tell you that I  do not make the best steak, but I am coming pretty close to being that person.  And I will let you in on my secret.. although I am sure it is not a secret to those that make steaks perfect...
Steaks are not my specialty and I like my steaks pretty well done... I really don't like to be able to hear that cow moo at me while I am eating it.  But over the years I have learned that steak is better eaten medium, although I would still prefer to have no blood running on my plate so medium ~ well for me please.  I see enough blood in the emergency room I don't want to see it on my plate.  My hubby on the other hand at least when he first arrived here liked his steak done like leather.  But he also has come to enjoying his steak at least medium ~well.

So over the last few months I have been making steak more often and I have to say I think they are getting better due to the Lodge Cast Iron Griddle that I won this summer... and that I let the steak sit for 5 - 10 minutes after I cook it (my secret).  I don't really have any amounts that I use but this is what I do....




Steak Dinner 

Ingredients:
Steak - 1 per person (Sirloin Tip and Ribeye are what I usually use)
Maggi Liquid  Seasoning (you could also use Soy Sauce)
McCormick Grill Mate Montreal Steak Seasoning
Greek Seasoning
Butter
Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Directions:
Marinate steaks by scoring steaks in several spots.  Sprinkle with Montreal Steak Seasoning, and Greek Seasoning.  Drizzle Maggi Liquid Seasoning or Soy Sauce. Let sit for at least 30 minutes or longer (if longer then 30 minutes I place in fridge)
Add approx 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil to cast iron pan.  Heat pan on medium-high heat.
Add butter (again approx 1 -2 tbsp) and melt. 
Once pan is sizzling add steak.  I sometimes add a little more Maggi Liquid Seasoning at this time.
Cook until steaks are brown at least 1/2 up the steak (approx 5- 7 minutes)
Flip steak over and cook until they are done to desired readiness.  (about 1 -2 minutes less then the first side).
Take off heat and cover with tinfoil and let sit for 5 -10 minutes.

To Caramelize Mushrooms and Onions ~ Cut onions in slices.  Wash mushrooms.  In medium frying pan, heat butter and small amount of oil over medium heat until butter is melted.  Add mushrooms and onions.  Saute until translucent ~ approx 7-10 minutes.  Drizzle honey over mushrooms and onions and cook for another few minutes.  Enjoy with steak.


We like to have our steak with homemade french fries and cole slaw.  
A  perfect Valentine's Dinner
  






Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Disclaimer: “This and That is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.”
Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments :

  1. I have an affinity for steak and red meat. I could never be a vegetarian...I just love my hamburgers and steak to ever part. Personally, I like my steak rare. Very rare. My family is split on that...which makes having summer BBQs interesting as we all want to cook the meat. Haha.

    Your steak sounds delicious, Marly with all those seasonings and the marinade...I especially love the idea of adding some soy sauce. Usually just a dab of salt and pepper will do for me...but I will try that next time.

    Thank you for stopping by and commenting on my cupcakes!

    Toodles,
    Tammy<3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the addition of seasonings and the marinade! Must have been very tasty!

    ReplyDelete

Please stop for a moment and leave a comment to let me know you have been here. I love reading all your comments.

I am sorry but I cannot accept Anonymous comments anymore as I am getting too many spam. I hope that you will comment with an ID user. Thanks for understanding.

I will not be accepting comments that have links on them. I will not delete them but because of google's stance on links I do not want to have any problems with my blog. Thank you for your understanding.