This and that: Baked Beans

Sunday, November 17, 2013

Baked Beans

I make baked beans often and then we eat them for days as it does make a big batch but they just get better.   The longer they sit, the better they taste.   These are easy to make as all you do is open cans and fry the bacon... One of these days I am going to make the beans first, instead of opening the cans.  I will let you know how that turns out.

I received this recipe from a friend of mine and I even make it basically as it is written, although I do sometimes put in different types of beans.

This last time that I made them, I didn't have any brown sugar in the house and used Zulka Morena Pure Cane Sugar and they tasted wonderfully.  I even decreased the amount of sugar and that was perfect.


Baked Beans
Ingredients:
1 pound bacon
1 medium onion
1 can kidney beans
1 can butter beans 
2 can pork and beans
1 can northern beans
1 cup brown sugar ( I used 2/3 cup Zulka Morena Pure Cane Sugar)
1/3 cup vinegar
1 tsp garlic ( I use 1 clove minced garlic)
1 tsp lemon juice
*** all bean cans are the medium size 15-16 oz

Directions:  
Cut bacon in bite size pieces and brown.  Remove from pan.  Drain all grease except 2 teaspoons.
Cut onion in small pieces and saute in the 2 tsp bacon grease.
In small bowl mix brown sugar (or Zulka Morena Pure Cane Sugar), vinegar, garlic and lemon juice.  Add mixture to onions.
Simmer for 15 minutes.
Drain liquid from kidney beans, butter beans, northern beans.
Add all beans to sauce.
Add cooked bacon.
Bring to boil.  Turn heat down and simmer for at least an hour.  You could also put them in the crock pot and cook on low for an hour or two.
Enjoy!
I have made these beans with no-name brands or store brands to well know brands like Bush and I think they taste the same.  To make them economical use the cheapest brands you can find. 


Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment :

  1. I happen to have a pot of bean soup simmering away right now. Beans must be the thing for an autumn day!

    ReplyDelete

Please stop for a moment and leave a comment to let me know you have been here. I love reading all your comments.

I am sorry but I cannot accept Anonymous comments anymore as I am getting too many spam. I hope that you will comment with an ID user. Thanks for understanding.

I will not be accepting comments that have links on them. I will not delete them but because of google's stance on links I do not want to have any problems with my blog. Thank you for your understanding.