This and that: The Magical Slow Cooker Cookbook Tour

Saturday, April 25, 2015

The Magical Slow Cooker Cookbook Tour

I am so excited to be a part of a group of awesome bloggers on this cookbook tour.  I love reading cookbooks and love using my slow cooker, so this tour was a win-win for me.

The Magical Slow Cooker Cookbook Tour


When I received this wonderful cookbook from Sarah Olson to review, my hubby commented you are not a mom so you shouldn't be reviewing this cookbook.  Even though the title of this book is Recipes for Busy Moms - The Magical Slow Cooker, it is not only for busy moms but for busy households.  All the recipes have ingredients that you will find in most households and worked great for me to make - I could get all the ingredients ready when I got home from work in the morning, through them in the slower cooker and I had a great meal ready for me when I got up in the afternoon.

As I had this for close to a month before my tour date, I was able to make three of the recipes so far and I still have more on my list.  Sarah gave me permission to share one of her recipes for you and the one I decided to share is Cowboy Chili Beans.




Growing up in a big family, we had chili often as they are easy to make and a fairly cheap to make. Chili is one meal that I think taste better even as leftover, so this meal is even great for us as I can freeze half of it and I have a ready made meal for when I just don't feel like cooking.

Cowboy Chili Beans
Ingredients:
4 (15 oz) cans pork and beans
2 Tbsp barbecue sauce 
1/2 cup diced onion
2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 lb ground beef, browned and drained
Salt and Pepper

Directions:
Add pork and beans, barbecue sauce, onion, chili powder, onion powder and garlic powder to 6- quart slow cooker.
Season the browned and drained ground beef with salt and pepper to taste, and add to the slow cooker.
Cover and cook on low for 5 hours without opening the lid during the cooking time.  Serve with cornbread and butter.

Verdict:  Yummy recipe.  I loved the taste of the Barbecue sauce in the chili and will be putting it in my regular chili recipe.  My hubby also liked the taste of this recipe.  I didn't make cornbread to eat with it, but did have some buns that were sweet to eat with it that were perfect.  I will be making this recipe again.



Chilies aren't the only thing that this cookbook offers.  Sarah also has recipes for breakfast, party foods, soups and stews, main dishes and desserts.  Yep, you can make all of these in your slow cookers.  There is something for everyone and recipes that can be made in 2 hours and up to 9 hours. Along with the recipes that I have made there are so many more that I plan to make in the near future like: Double Pork French Dip and Easy Asian Beef.

Other recipes that I made:
Cheesecake
I made this recipe to take for our Easter dinner at church.  I made it in my oval slow cooker and even though I don't think I placed my tinfoil straight enough into the slow cooker, it came out wonderful.  I was worried that it wouldn't set properly and I cooked it a little longer then the recipe said which then the sides were pretty brown but not burnt.  So to save the oval look, I trimmed the sides and added some fruit, whipped cream and chocolate.  Verdict:  There was none left and I had many compliments. I already have more cream cheese to make this again.  Sorry, you will have to buy the book to find this recipe...  You can get a hard copy or buy it for your kindle.

Honey Garlic Wings


Honey Garlic Wings were perfect for a meal or a great finger food - perfect for a party.  The flavours of the honey and garlic goes perfect and not too sweet or savory. We ate ours as a meal with rice. Verdict:  This recipe will be made again.

Looking for more Slow Cooker recipes like these ones, head over to Sarah's website: The Magical Slow Cooker.  I am sure you will find something that will fit for your family.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

5 comments :

  1. Hi Marlys! Thank you so very much for the book review! I love that you tried so many recipes. :) The cowboy bean are a favorite, they are awesome with cornbread!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to try a few more on my list Sarah... and the next time I make the Cowboy beans it will be with cornbread.

      Delete
  2. Everything looks delicious! My husband is ALWAYS asking for more cheesecake. I guess if I could make it in the crockpot, he could enjoy it more often. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was amazed how the cheesecake turned out... and very yummy.

      Delete
  3. I LOVE Sarah's cookbook and I was on her cookbook tour early! Great review! Pinned and shared!

    ReplyDelete

Please stop for a moment and leave a comment to let me know you have been here. I love reading all your comments.

I am sorry but I cannot accept Anonymous comments anymore as I am getting too many spam. I hope that you will comment with an ID user. Thanks for understanding.

I will not be accepting comments that have links on them. I will not delete them but because of google's stance on links I do not want to have any problems with my blog. Thank you for your understanding.