This and that: Attiéké with Smoked Salmon Stir fry

Monday, October 29, 2012

Attiéké with Smoked Salmon Stir fry

We bought Attiéké at an African Market this summer and I finally made it.   Attiéké is a low fat "couscous" make from fermented cassava root.  After some investigation I found that it was produced by Ivory Coast women by a traditional method requiring several hard steps. Although it looks like couscous, it has a distinct nutty flavour.  It can be used as a substitute for rice or pasta and served with stews, poultry, fish and vegetables.  I served it with a Smoked Salmon Stir-fry.


    Attiéké with Smoked Salmon Stirfry

Prepartion for  Attiéké
1 box Marguerite  Attiéké or 8.75 oz (250 g)
1 cup warm water
1 tbsp butter or oil

Place Attiéké in  sauce pan.  Add warm water and stir delicately.  Cover and let sit for 5 - 8 minutes.  Add 1 tbsp butter or oil and cook over very low heat for 4 -5 minutes fluffing with a fork to separate grains.  

Preparation for Smoked Salmon Stirfry
1 -2 tbsp oil
2 carrots, sliced thinly
1 celery stalk, sliced
1/2 cup red onion, sliced thinly
1/2 cup mushrooms
1/4 -1/2 cup Sun Dried Tomato Dressing - I used Kraft
1/3 pound smoked salmon cut in bite size pieces.

In frying pan or wok, heat oil and place carrots and celery, over medium heat cook until close to being soft, add red onions and mushrooms and continue to cook until vegetables are soft.  Pour in Sun Dried Tomato Dressing  (depending on how much liquid you will want, will depend on how much dressing to use - start with the small amount and add until it is how you would like it).  Continue to cook for a few minutes.  Add smoked salmon and cook for another couple of minutes, until salmon is warm.  At this point just before serving I will add a bit more onions to taste.  Serve over  Attiéké .

A picture of the  Attiéké box

What it looks like after it is cooked.






















8 comments :

  1. Fantastic! How about linking it in to Food on Friday: Salmonn? Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole, will that be this coming Friday? I looked on your blog but couldn't see anything.. Marlys

      Delete
  2. Good Morning Marlys, I have never heard of Attieke, but I like the way it is simple to make, the same as couscous. My husband would enjoy this if it has a nutty flavour. I will have to investigate this product. Thank you, I love learning about new foods. Have a lovely day. Best Wishes Daphne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was the first time that I tried it and enjoyed it very much. My husband's family ate it in Africa.

      Delete
  3. I love trying new foods and this sounds very tasty! I also love Salmon! Thanks for sharing the recipe and the educational information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cynthia for stopping by.. we eat alot of Smoked Salmon.

      Delete
  4. I need to find this looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very delicious. I think you can buy it online. We have to find it again too.

      Delete

Please stop for a moment and leave a comment to let me know you have been here. I love reading all your comments.

I am sorry but I cannot accept Anonymous comments anymore as I am getting too many spam. I hope that you will comment with an ID user. Thanks for understanding.

I will not be accepting comments that have links on them. I will not delete them but because of google's stance on links I do not want to have any problems with my blog. Thank you for your understanding.