This and that: Summer Squash Rice

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Summer Squash Rice

I have decided that each week after our Foodie Friends Friday Linky Party I am going to pick a recipe to make and feature that recipe that was linked to the party. Last week, we received 134 links and everyone of them seemed to be better then the last.  There were many that I wanted to feature but I decided to only pick one ... So here is my pick~~~ Cheesy Summer Squash Rice Recipe from Hot Eats and Cool Reads.  Sheena has some marvelous recipes on her blog and this one jumped right out at me as I love squash and we eat alot of rice and I am always looking for rice recipes. So, I instantly went to this one and as I had most of the ingredients decided to make it.  The biggest change I made was that I didn't add the cheese.  My husband thinks that we eat too much cheese or that at least I do... and as the meat that I made with it had cheese I decided against it.  This recipe has lots of flavor and I will be making it again.  Thanks, Sheena of Hot Eats and Cool Reads for this recipe, we loved it.   Now for the recipe with my changes...

Add caption
                                                     Summer Squash Rice
Ingredients:
2 tbsp butter
3/4 cup jasmine rice
1/2 cup thin noodles - I used rice vermicelli
1 1/2 cup grated summer squash or zucchini - I used both
1/2 cup grated red onion
1 tbsp fresh parsley
2 cups chicken broth - I used 2 cups water and 1 maggi cube dissolved in the water
2/3 cup milk
1 tsp salt.

In large pan melt butter and add rice and noodles, saute on medium high until they start turning brown, about 5 minutes. Add broth milk, grated summer squash, zucchini, onions, parsley, and salt.  Bring to boil.  Cover and reduce heat to medium low and simmer until rice is cooked and liquid is reduced, about 20 minutes.  I cook mine longer as we like the rice brown and crunchy.  Remove from heat and serve.  

sauteing rice and noodles

grated summer squash, zucchini and onions

I served mine with a basil chicken and tomatoes! YUM!
This is one of the recipes from last week and this week we are again going to have a Linky Party and there is going to be some great recipes.  If you link up your recipe, maybe next week I will be making your recipe and featuring it on my blog...   So please come join us again this weekend.   This is one party you don't want to miss.

 
                                      
                                                   Til next time <3 <3 <3  Marlys

                       
                                          

2 comments :

  1. This looks great without the cheese!! So glad you loved it! I will have to try this variation! Thanks for letting me know how it turned out and for your kind words Marlys! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this on Sheena's post and love it with your twist too! Very nice! I was just at Niagara today and picked up some summer squash. Had this recipe in mind too.

    ReplyDelete

Please stop for a moment and leave a comment to let me know you have been here. I love reading all your comments.

I am sorry but I cannot accept Anonymous comments anymore as I am getting too many spam. I hope that you will comment with an ID user. Thanks for understanding.

I will not be accepting comments that have links on them. I will not delete them but because of google's stance on links I do not want to have any problems with my blog. Thank you for your understanding.