This and that: Oh! Canada

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Oh! Canada

      July 1st is Canada Day and this will be my last Canada Day that I will be able to celebrate as a full Canadian citizen.  On June 11th I had my interview for my American citizenship and on July 18th I will go for the Oath Ceremony where I will become an American citizen.
    I have mixed feelings about doing this and although I have lived here in the States for 12 years, Canada is my home and will always be my home.  I was born Canadian and will die Canadian, but now I will also be American.  Making my decision to become American had many pros and cons and probably if I stated single, I wouldn't get my American Citizenship.... I pay taxes here and many people I meet think me as American until I say the word about, buried, semi and possibly a few more words that we say different.  But I can tell you it is not because I say "Eh".  I am not an "eh" girl and it is not part of my vocabulary.  I does make me laugh that people think that "eh" is a Canadian word as when I lived in central Wisconsin, I heard it more often there then I did when I was in Saskatchewan.
      As I sit wondering what I should do for my final All Canadian - Canada Day, I think about what food is Canadian.  The first thing that comes to mind at least to me is butter tarts.  Butter tarts are probably one of my favorite foods and is something we always made Christmas Eve for our evening get together.  YUM! my  mouth is watering.
Butter tarts  Link to recipe Here -- not my recipe but close
     Another food that I think of being truly Canadian is Nanaimo bars.  This bar has a wafer crumb based layer topped with a custard flavored butter icing and covered with melted chocolate squares.  So decadent and rich and delicious.
Nanaimo bar - picture taken from Wikepedia
link for recipe here
      Also when I think of Canada and food... I think of their chocolate.  In Canada we eat chocolate bars at least in the western provinces, not candy bars and even if they don't contain any chocolate bars they are still called chocolate bars.  My personal feeling is that the chocolate is better in Canada... even the kitkat tastes better with Canadian chocolate.  Here are some of my favorite chocolate bars:






Along with the chocolate bars, there are the potato chips.... ketchup chips, dill pickled chips, and salt and vinegar chips. Although they are found here in the states, they still taste better when I am at home...
             Home... Canada... The Maple Leaf forever.  I will be making something that is truly Canadian for Canada Day and I hope to post it on Canada Day.
                                       Til next time <3 <3 <3  Marlys

5 comments :

  1. Yes your right about Canadian chocolate tasting better...especially the Kit Kat bars! Loved this post! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. From one Canadian to another, I think you summed that up well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to meet you, Marlys! I am not into recipes or cooking; my husband is the cook in our family! Nor do I much care about food only the bit I need to stay healthy. So....this post about Canada grabbed my attention! I grew up in Detroit; my rellies on both sides were Canadian! I spent summers on the Severn River in Ontario. After marriage and kids, we followed hockey and had may trips to Toronto and the Thousand Islands for vacations! Canada is close to our hearts and I agree with your assessment of chocolate and the "eh" word. I look forward to reading more posts and appreciate you taking time to read mine!
    Joan gramcrackercrumbs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joan for stopping by and I glad you enjoyed this post. Although this blog is mainly recipes, I have been thinking of broadening my horizons.

      Delete
  4. Excellent blog you’ve got here.. It’s difficult to find high-quality writing like yours nowadays. I really appreciate individuals like you! Take care!! Welcome by Favorite Food opportunities and teaching Commercial to Residential Conversion.

    ReplyDelete

Please stop for a moment and leave a comment to let me know you have been here. I love reading all your comments.

I am sorry but I cannot accept Anonymous comments anymore as I am getting too many spam. I hope that you will comment with an ID user. Thanks for understanding.

I will not be accepting comments that have links on them. I will not delete them but because of google's stance on links I do not want to have any problems with my blog. Thank you for your understanding.