This and that: Lemon- Lime Sugar Cookies

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Lemon- Lime Sugar Cookies


   

This past week has gone by in a flash and I seem to not get very much done again.  We did have my husband's cousin from Togo over at the beginning of the week and I spent the first part of the week cooking for him.  I decided to make an African meal for him and our other guests, mainly because he will be here in America for close to a month and it is always nice to get comfort food when you are traveling, especially when traveling alone.  But I did make an American dessert and with that dessert I made some Sugar Cookies.
I heard via facebook (my only news I read :)) that Monday July 9 was Sugar Cookie Day, and as I was trying to figure out something light and good to have with the Key Lime Pie Parfait that I was making, Sugar Cookies seemed perfect.  So out came my cookbooks and I found a recipe that I thought would be perfect, although I did want it to complement my dessert so I added lemon and lime zest to my cookies and WOW! They turned out wonderful... I am not sure I will ever make plain sugar cookies again.

                                                  Lemon-Lime Sugar Cookies


Lemon-Lime Sugar Cookies, just for you....

Ingredients:
1 cup shortening (I used butter)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cream tarter
1 tsp lemon zest
1 tsp lime zest

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Mix flour, salt, baking soda and cream of tarter in bowl and set aside.  In big bowl beat sugar and shortening until mixed, add eggs and beat until smooth.  Slowly add flour mixture to sugar mixture until thoroughly mixed.  Once mixed add lemon and lime zest (this is to taste so you can add more or less as you want).  Roll dough into balls and roll into sugar.  Don't press.  Bake on an ungreased pan at 375 degrees for 8 -10 minutes.

Recipe adapted from Home Cooking from Wolf Lake Cookbook
mix in eggs

mixing sugar and butter 

add lemon and lime zest to mixture after flour has been added
roll in ball and roll balls in sugar 
place rolled balls on cookie sheet
they do spread so place far apart 

                                                                                       




leave on cookie sheets for a few minutes before placing on
cooling pans.
Enjoy!
a sneak peak with the key lime pie parfait
These cookies were so delicious that they are all gone and I have to make more... they are chewy and still a little crunchy... just perfect!
                          Til next time <3 <3 <3  Marlys

PS don't forget to check out the linky party tomorrow at Foodie Friends Friday.  It starts tomorrow and it is a great place to link your recipe as each link goes to all the host sites ~ so lots of exposure and if you are not a blogger, it is a great place to find some wonderful recipes... I am going to link this recipe! 















Links:::






BWS tips button                                                                        Monday Link Party

Photobucket


SixSistersStuff.com                                                           Thursday Treasures

The Mandatory Mooch


apinchofjoy.com

Freedom Fridays

Lemon Sugar

A LIttle Nosh Mommy's Sweet Confessions

18 comments :

  1. i Love the presentation in the glass. Very nice! I think adding lemon and lime to a sugar cookie is genius, Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ellen, the key lime parfait didn't turn out quite how I envisioned it but was tasty and that lemon and lime were wonderful in the cookies and a great compliment to the parfait

      Delete
  2. I love anything with lemon and lime. The cookies look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, I thought they tasted pretty amazing if I do say myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spectacular presentation.

    I found this via Simple Living with Diane Balch. I linked in an attempt at meatballs. Have a super week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carole... I will go and check your link....

      Delete
  5. These look so good! Glad you had fun with your company. Last week was a great week for me, THIS week, however, has turned out to be crazy busy! Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday! Please come back next week with another great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lois... I go back to work tonight :(... Would love to be able to stay at home but someone has to pay the bills :)

      Delete
  6. lemon and lime together - fabulous!! gotta try these. Found you through the Sweet Saturday Party - would love a follow back if you'd like at http://experimentmom.blogspot.com/. Thanks - Jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I featured this recipe on Sweet Saturday linky today, take a look: http://jessica-healthymommyhealthybaby.blogspot.com/2012/07/sweet-saturday-14.html. I love your blog and look forward to seeing more. I am very curious about African cooking and so happy that you linked up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel very honoured that you featured this recipe. Thanks for coming by and hope you keep enjoying my blog.

      Delete
  8. My mouth is watering just thinking about these. Thank you so much for linking up to Tasty Thursdays last week. Hope to see you again this week!!
    Nichi - The Mandatory Mooch

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marlys I voted these cookies as my favorite from the Linky Party 6! I LOVE lemon lime combo (I made lemon lime tilapia for dinner but that's another post! ;)Keep the yummy ideas coming! Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know what you mean: sometimes when you try something new, you can never go back! I have a few of those, mainly for banana bread and zucchini bread. I'm going to have to add zest to my next batch of cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look great...crisp and citrus...good combination. Thanks for sharing the recipe and photos. Gail (BibleLoveNotes.com)

    ReplyDelete

Please stop for a moment and leave a comment to let me know you have been here. I love reading all your comments.

I am sorry but I cannot accept Anonymous comments anymore as I am getting too many spam. I hope that you will comment with an ID user. Thanks for understanding.

I will not be accepting comments that have links on them. I will not delete them but because of google's stance on links I do not want to have any problems with my blog. Thank you for your understanding.