This and that: Breakfast Cookies - Fill the Cookie Jar

Thursday, September 7, 2017

Breakfast Cookies - Fill the Cookie Jar

Fill your cookie jar with healthy breakfast cookies made with blueberries and bananas. #fillthecookiejar




Cookies for breakfast; why yes of course!





Breakfast Cookies

This month's theme for Fill the Cookies Jar is Halloween, well my cookies are not even close to Halloween.   Although now that I am writing this I realized that I should have put some pumpkin into these cookies... maybe they could be classified as Halloween then. 

I made these cookies to bring to my hubby as he has been eating cookies for breakfast.  I thought I would try to make something that may be healthier.  I also had some wild blueberries that I wanted to use up so this recipe was perfect.  Although I did think these cookies are yummy, not to sure my hubby did as they are a softer cookie and not crunchy the way he likes them. 

Even though they don't follow this month's theme for Fill the Cookie Jar, I think these are a great cookie.  Seeing school started in most places over the last couple of weeks, these cookies can be sent with your little or big ones and you will know that they are starting their day pretty healthy.

I adapted this recipe from How Sweet It Is - Blueberry Breakfast Muffins.

Fill your cookie jar with healthy breakfast cookies made with blueberries and bananas. #fillthecookiejar


Ingredients:
2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup coffee flour
2 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
2 ripe bananas, mashed
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
2 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
3 tablespoon buttermilk
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup blueberries
1/2 cup toasted coconut

Directions:
Preheat oven 350 degrees.

In large mixing bowl, mix all dry ingredients together (first 8 ingredients).  In a smaller bowl, mix the bananas, eggs, coconut oil, butter, buttermilk, and vanilla together.  Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients until well combined.  Stir in blueberries and coconut.

Drop cookies (about 2 tablespoons each) onto nonstick baking sheet approx 2 inches apart.  Bake for 12-15 minutes.  Remove from oven and let cool on baking rack.

Cookies will keep for about 5 days in sealed bag or container.  I have kept them in the fridge for about 2 weeks.

Fill your cookie jar with healthy breakfast cookies made with blueberries and bananas. #fillthecookiejar



Check out all of the other great recipes and you may even find some Halloween ones 😍!


Lemon Oreo Bars by Family Around the Table

Glazed Cider Cookies by That Recipe

Caramel Apple Cookies by Home Sweet Homestead

Applesauce Oatmeal Cookies by Palatable Pastime

Witches Hats by A Day In The Life on The Farm

Spooky Bites by Cindy's Recipes and Writings

Pumpkin Snickerdoodles by Cookaholic Wife

Monster Eyeball Cookies by Organized 31




 photo Marlys name tag_zpsbeomukze.png

6 comments :

  1. I think you could segue into fall and Halloween with the healthy breakfast theme to counteract all the calorie laden and nutrient free cookies and treats they will be having.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is "coffee flour"? Is it something purchased or processed at home?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cookies for breakfast? Oatmeal and blueberries? I'm all in!! My kids will be singing your praises tomorrow morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are cookies that I would eat no matter what time of the day! I think it is fun to have a cookie for breakfast. Thanks so much for being a part of the Fill The Cookie Jar group. Always excited to see what you bake

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love one or three of these cookies for breakfast with my tea. So much goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haven't many breakfast cookies due to my cooktop not being the best, but will definitely try these!

    ReplyDelete

Please stop for a moment and leave a comment to let me know you have been here. I love reading all your comments.

I am sorry but I cannot accept Anonymous comments anymore as I am getting too many spam. I hope that you will comment with an ID user. Thanks for understanding.

I will not be accepting comments that have links on them. I will not delete them but because of google's stance on links I do not want to have any problems with my blog. Thank you for your understanding.