This and that: Berry Salad with Basil Chia Vinaigrette

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Berry Salad with Basil Chia Vinaigrette

I love summer and fresh fruit.  We have a small strawberry patch that this year is producing very well.  Or at least I think so.  I have also been able to get to them before the critters which helps.  Before this year, I would pick and throw out the strawberries that had bites taken out but this year I decided to leave them.  Low and behold they seem to be coming back to eat the strawberries that they had already started to eat~ I do hope this continue and they don't go for the new ones.
I decided to make a salad with the strawberries and a dressing.  My basil is also starting to come up and basil and strawberries go so well together so came up with this recipe.

Berry Salad with Basil Chia Vinaigrette


Ingredients:
sliced strawberries
blueberries
pomegranate seeds  
assorted lettuce or spinach ( I used romaine and spinach)
glazed walnuts
sliced chicken (optional)

for vinaigrette: 
1/2 cup oil
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 tsp dijon mustard
2 tsp fresh minced basil
1 tbsp chia seed
1/2 tsp honey powder (or you could use what ever sweetener you like)

 Directions:
Make vinaigrette by mixing all ingredients together and let sit while you prepare your salad.
Assemble lettuce, add  fruit, walnuts and chicken.
Drizzle vinaigrette over salad and enjoy.  



Vinaigrette will keep in the fridge for 3-7 days depending on what you put into them. With fresh herbs, I have read that they don't last as long.  I do keep mine longer but I don't recommend it to others.  I throw them out when they start smelling bad.. that is my clue that I need to make some more.


Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments :

  1. This looks wonderful! I'm especially excited about the dressing as I'm trying to get more chia into our diets! Thanks for sharing!
    Tina from mommynificent.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. G'day! LOVE the idea of adding chia Marlys!
    Thanks for all you do each week behind the party scenes! Always appreciated by me!
    Cheers! Joanne

    ReplyDelete

Please stop for a moment and leave a comment to let me know you have been here. I love reading all your comments.

I am sorry but I cannot accept Anonymous comments anymore as I am getting too many spam. I hope that you will comment with an ID user. Thanks for understanding.

I will not be accepting comments that have links on them. I will not delete them but because of google's stance on links I do not want to have any problems with my blog. Thank you for your understanding.