This and that: Fill the Cookie Jar with Bird's Nest Cookies #fillthecookiejar

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Fill the Cookie Jar with Bird's Nest Cookies #fillthecookiejar

 April is here and so is spring...  Well maybe not so much if I look outside of the windows, but I am pretending.  With spring comes Easter and I love Easter and all the bright colours and candies...
One of my favorite candies is the Cadbury Mini Eggs.. I just love the crunchy shells and the chocolaty insides and knew that this was something that I would have to use to make my cookies to......

Fill the Cookie Jar

It is that time of month.. Time to fill the cookie jar and this month's theme is Spring and Easter.  The Easter was easy to do as all I need was the mini eggs and I decided that for spring I wanted to put those eggs into a bird's nest ~ A new beginning...and came up with these cookies.

This and That/ Bird's Nest Cookie #fillthecookiejar #cookies #Easter #spring

Bird's Nest Cookies

Ingredients:
3 cups crispy rice cereal (I used Kellogg's Rice Krispies)
1 cup shredded coconut
1/3 cup light syrup
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup almond butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup chocolate wafers (I had some left over green wafers)
mini eggs about 2-3 per nest

Direction:
Measure rice cereal and shredded coconut in a bowl and set aside.
In medium sauce pan melt syrup, brown sugar and almond butter* on medium heat until soft.
Take off heat and add vanilla.
Add mixture to dry ingredients and stir until covered.
Using muffin tins ( I used both large and mini tins) add mixture so that there is about half the tin covered and pack into center so the sides come up the sides of the tin so that it looks like a nest.  
Melt chocolate wafers and put approx 1 tsp into the center of the nest.
Add mini eggs to the center of the melted chocolate.
Let nests cool until hardened and remove from tins.

This and That/ Bird's Nest Cookie #fillthecookiejar #cookies #Easter #spring

Cooks Notes:
**The original recipe calls for peanut butter but because of a peanut sensitivity I now use almond butter.  Almond butter doesn't melt as nicely as peanut butter and so the mixture is slightly harder to mix all together with the dry mixture.  I use my hand to mix it all together as I find it is easier.

Last month I filled the cookie jar with Shamrock Pretzel Twists.

Fill the Cookie Jar is a facebook group of bloggers started by Cynthia from Feeding Big.  Each month we are given a theme to make cookies with and they are posted then on the first Thursday of the month.  You can decide if you want to join each month.  If you would like more information or would like to join this wonderful group, click on the button below.







Linked Up Here:  Eat Create Party, Weekend Social Blog hop, Easter Spring Link Party, Super Saturday Afternoon Tea, Weekend Re-treat

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Enhanced by Zemanta

14 comments :

  1. Marlys, these are so sweet, and absolutely picture-perfect. I love the idea of using both mini and regular muffin tins, and I also love the alternative to peanut butter! It's great to have something everyone can enjoy. Your decor around the nests is so fresh and cheerful! Have a great Cookie Day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute! I know my daughter would love making these...and eating them of course!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh My Gosh! I just love these. I think the green wafers were a perfect choice since you mimicked the grass. I know my family would love these! Thanks for being a part of the Fill The Cookie Jar Group!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are SO cute! I think the mini muffin size is the cutest. =0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marlys, these are so cute...my grandkids would love them.... Almost too cute to eat.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm like Cathy, my grands will love helping me make these!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those look really good.. i love coconut

    ReplyDelete
  8. These cookie nests looks way too cute and yummy too! I love this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. these look really yummy! will have to try!

    ReplyDelete
  10. so adorable and festive too. Pinning.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Marlys, Thanks so much for stopping by our Easter/Spring link party with these cute Easter Birds Nest Cookies. My kiddos will love making these for their cousins this week.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete

Please stop for a moment and leave a comment to let me know you have been here. I love reading all your comments.

I am sorry but I cannot accept Anonymous comments anymore as I am getting too many spam. I hope that you will comment with an ID user. Thanks for understanding.

I will not be accepting comments that have links on them. I will not delete them but because of google's stance on links I do not want to have any problems with my blog. Thank you for your understanding.