This and that: Akume

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Akume

Akume is a traditional Togolese meal that is made with corn flour.  It is eaten with Green sauce with is made with Ademe leaves (a native vegetable green), jute leaves or spinach and we have even made it with cassava  leaves.
In this post I will show how Akume or corn porridge is made.  I have been trying to make this myself but still haven't been able to whip or stir it enough to get the right consistency.  Maybe one day I will be able to make it from start to finish.

Akume with Ademe Sauce


                                                           Akume
Ingredients
2.5 cups water
1-1.5 cups corn flour ( we do mix small amount of white flour with the corn flour - approximately 1/4 cup)

Bring water to a boil.  Once water has come to a boil, mix 1 tbsp of corn flour in 1/2 cup of cold water.  Stir into boiling water.  Boil for a few minutes.  Pour about 3/4 cup  of this mixture in a bowl and set aside. Pour approximately 1 -1.5 cups of corn flour into boiling water and stir.  Continue to stir until akume becomes firm but soft to the touch.  Pour in the corn flour mixture that you set aside, let it come to a boil before stirring into the rest of akume.  Once it is to the right consistency, pour a small amount of water into a bowl and swish it around and dump it out (this is so that the akume doesn't stick to the bowl.  Spoon the akume in the bowl and tap down.  Place upside down onto a rinsed plate and remove the bowl.

* All measurements of the ingredients are an approximations as we don't measure.  My husband always tells me ~ we just pour what we think is right... we don't have measuring cups.

The beginning of the stirring

more stirring

continue to stir

pouring in the set aside corn flour

stirring




it is starting to look right.

akume in bowl turned up side down on plate
 



Akume
I will post the recipe for the Ademe sauce soon.
  Til next time <3 <3 <3  Marlys

No comments :

Post a Comment

Please stop for a moment and leave a comment to let me know you have been here. I love reading all your comments.

I am sorry but I cannot accept Anonymous comments anymore as I am getting too many spam. I hope that you will comment with an ID user. Thanks for understanding.

I will not be accepting comments that have links on them. I will not delete them but because of google's stance on links I do not want to have any problems with my blog. Thank you for your understanding.