This and that: Spinach and Spaghetti Squash Quiche

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Spinach and Spaghetti Squash Quiche




 No, once again it isn't an African meal.... I need to get back to blogging about African cooking but as my menu is small... I need to fill in once in awhile with different things... So here it is different and I also needed to cook up a spaghetti squash that was sitting on my counter.  I found this recipe on Allrecipes.com but many comments said that it was bland... So after reading through the comments this is what I came up with:




                                                      Spinach and Spaghetti Squash Quiche
Ingredients:
1 cup spaghetti squash
1/2 cup spinach - I added a small amount of kale to this also
1 small onion sliced
1/4 cup mushrooms sliced
1 clove garlic minced
1 tsp oil
2 eggs beaten
2 egg whites
12 oz evaporated milk
1/4 cup colby and monterey jack cheese, shredded
1/4 cup romano cheese
1 tsp basil
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp seasoning salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
small amount of bread crumbs (I used italian bread crumbs)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2.  Pierce spaghetti squash several times.... I used knife to do this and made small slashes around the squash.  Place in microwaveable dish and cook for 10 minutes.  Turn and cook for another 10 minutes.  Set aside to cool.  Once cool to touch, cut lengthwise and remove seeds.  Shred 1 cup of the squash and set in bowl.  You will have lots leftover for another meal....
3.  Place spinach in pot and cover with water.  Bring to boil and remove from heat and drain. Once cool, cut in small pieces.
4.  Place oil in pan, sauteed onion, garlic and mushrooms until soft.  I added onion first and cooked for a few minutes and then added the garlic and mushrooms.
5. In bowl add the spaghetti squash, spinach and onion mixture.  Stir in egg whites, beaten eggs, evaporated milk, cheese, and spices. Stir until well combined.
6.  Spray 9 inch pie plate or quiche pan with cooking spray.  Sprinkle bread crumbs to bottom of dish.  Pour in egg mixture.
7.  Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes or until toothpick comes clean.  Allow to cool for about 10 minutes.  Serve warm or at room temperature.  I preferred it at room temperature.

And if you are a food blogger..... Take pictures throughout the recipe and at the end...










Bring Spinach and Kale to a boil.  Drain and set aside.








                                     mince garlic





slice mushrooms














Sauteing onions, garlic and mushrooms







cut spinach and kale in small pieces








     shredded spaghetti squash and cut spinach




crumbs to bottom of pan












   ready to go in oven..










and here is your piece.  Enjoy!







I thought this had lots of flavor and will certainly enjoy the leftovers, unless you would like to come and have some....  Now to figure out what to do with the leftover spaghetti squash...
            Till next time...  

2 comments :

  1. Oh yummy! I love quiche and I love how people all make it differently. I can't wait to try your recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Please stop for a moment and leave a comment to let me know you have been here. I love reading all your comments.

I am sorry but I cannot accept Anonymous comments anymore as I am getting too many spam. I hope that you will comment with an ID user. Thanks for understanding.

I will not be accepting comments that have links on them. I will not delete them but because of google's stance on links I do not want to have any problems with my blog. Thank you for your understanding.