This and that: Homemade Tomato Soup with a twist

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Homemade Tomato Soup with a twist

If you have been following my blog, you will realize that the morning of the party I like to feature one recipe from the previous weeks party.  To feature it,  means that I need to make it.  I prefer to have made it before I feature it.
Last week we had a Vegan Challenge and I thought it would be appropriate to make a vegan recipe. I have to apologize because I did turn this great vegan recipe into non-vegan by using milk as I didn't have any non-dairy milk in the house.  This Tomato soup recipe was linked up by Vegetarian Momma and tasted so good. The secret ingredient is maple syrup.  Would you have ever thought of putting maple syrup in tomato soup? ~ Me neither but it was GREAT!  My recipe is for only one serving and I used garden tomatoes instead of can tomatoes.



Homemade Tomato Soup with a Twist
adapted from Tomato soup

Ingredients:
1 tbsp red onion diced                                            
1 tsp oil                                                                      
3/4 cup crushed tomatoes 
1/2 cup milk (dairy or non dairy)                      
1 tsp maple syrup
In small sauce pot, heat oil and saute onion until soft.  Add tomatoes ( I used a combination of red and yellow tomatoes), bring to boil.  Reduce heat and let simmer for 5-6 minutes.  Add milk and maple syrup and remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes before eating.

I enjoyed my soup with a grilled cheese sandwich.

 When there is a chill in the air, soup is the best thing to eat to warm you up and a bowl full of yummy goodness, made from your garden vegetables.... Oh! So! Good!.
til next time <3 <3 <3 Marlys    

2 comments :

  1. Hello Marlys, I have made soup many times and have added a little sugar to take away the acidity of the tomatoes, but I have never heard of using maple syrup. Maple syrup is sweet, so I would imagine it takes the place of sugar. I will try this next time I make tomato soup. I enjoy trying new ingredients in dishes. Best Wishes Daphne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daphne, I hope that you will like it if you put maple syrup in your tomato soup.

      Delete

Please stop for a moment and leave a comment to let me know you have been here. I love reading all your comments.

I am sorry but I cannot accept Anonymous comments anymore as I am getting too many spam. I hope that you will comment with an ID user. Thanks for understanding.

I will not be accepting comments that have links on them. I will not delete them but because of google's stance on links I do not want to have any problems with my blog. Thank you for your understanding.