This and that: Healthy Fruit Nut Bites ~ Fill The Cookie Jar

Thursday, August 6, 2015

Healthy Fruit Nut Bites ~ Fill The Cookie Jar

I can't believe that it is already August and soon it is time to go back to school.  Do you have kids that are going back to school... or maybe you are going to school this fall?  With school coming it is time to get cookies made and Back to School is our theme for this month's Fill the Cookie Jar.

Healthy Fruit Nut Bites


This month I decided to make a healthy cookie that are no bake.  These cookies are gluten free and have no added sugar, are easy to make and taste wonderful.   After I made these I thought they might be really yummy dipped in dark chocolate.

Recipe adapted from Dried Fruit and Nut Bites

Ingredients:
1 cup dried fruit (I used cranberries, apples and apricots)
1 cup nuts and seeds (I used California Walnuts, Almonds and Pumpkin Seed)
dash of Cinnamon
dash of  Nutmeg
dash of course salt
1 tbsp PB2
1 oz dark chocolate covered cacao nibs (well, I used slightly less than 1 oz) *

Directions:
Place dried fruit into food processor and pulse until finely chopped.  
et aside.
Put nuts and seeds into food processor and pulse until finely choppped.
Mix dried fruit, nuts and seeds, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and PB2.
Add cocoa nibs to mixture and mix together and roll into 1 inch balls.

The original recipe rolled these balls in sesame seeds which I think would be great too... I though I had sesame seeds but when I went to make these, I didn't have any left.  I think they would be yummy would sesame seeds.

* I used Dark Chocolate Covered Cacao Nibs from Sweetriot.  One container is 1 ounce, we had eaten some of the nibs so I didn't have the whole ounce to put in these cookies.    


Last year I made PB&J Sandwich Cookies for our Back to School theme.

Are you interested in joining our group?  Each month we are given a theme to make cookies.  The group posts their masterpieces on the first Thursday of the month.  Another great part of this group is if you aren't able to participate some months, that is ok... you don't have to participate every month, but why not ~ it is a good excuse to make cookies.  To find out more information, click on the button below. 







Image and video hosting by TinyPic

9 comments :

  1. Marlys, I love that you have gone healthy with a cookie. I think it is so important to feed our family and ourselves healthy food. These look so yummy and I bet my whole family would love them. Thanks so much for sharing them at the #FillTheCookieJar group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is going to be 100 degrees F in my area. No Bake is the only way cookies are getting made these days. And I love all of the mixed dried fruit blended together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These really sound delicious. I have been on a new eating plan for about a year now, while I "cheat" often and have fully loaded cookies, your cookies would be completely approved and on plan. I will have to get these ingredients so I can try for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marlys these sound like a perfect after school energy snack!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm loving the look of these healthy treats! My kids are all grown; but these will be perfect for my husbands lunchbox! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These cookies sound like they´d be perfect for us Ñ=

    ReplyDelete
  7. These little bites would be perfect for packing in the backpack to nibble on between school and after-school activities.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great photo and recipe Marlys! Pinned and shared!

    ReplyDelete

Please stop for a moment and leave a comment to let me know you have been here. I love reading all your comments.

I am sorry but I cannot accept Anonymous comments anymore as I am getting too many spam. I hope that you will comment with an ID user. Thanks for understanding.

I will not be accepting comments that have links on them. I will not delete them but because of google's stance on links I do not want to have any problems with my blog. Thank you for your understanding.