This and that: Valentine's Mantel

Friday, February 13, 2015

Valentine's Mantel

Love is in the air
and everything is pink and red.
Today I am excited to show you my Valentine's Mantel.

Valentine's Mantel

I have had so much fun crafting for Valentine's this year and have a couple of more ideas that I want to do but not sure that I am going to have time to get them made.  Everything that I have made is easy and fairly inexpensive.  I was fortunate enough to find some of the supplies on 50% off at Micheals.

I love how the  reds and pinks come together with the burlap.  I incorporated paper, burlap, fabric, twine, wood and paint in my projects.

One of the first projects I did was make some Valentine trees using burlap and fabric, jute and paper rope.   These also worked great with the Jute Valentine Bottles that I made.  One one end of the mantel I arrange two of the trees with the jute bottle.  I placed the third paper rope tree on the opposite end of the mantel with bottles that I painted and the Love Heart made from foam board and washi tape.

The vases bottles I had around the house and painted with chalkboard paint.  I was  trying to make them look like they were dipped but not actually dipping them.  I still need to work on that part as they didn't really turn out the way I wanted them to.  I used the end of my paint brush to scratch the I UU and the heart.  I was very pleased with the Washi Love Heart that I made, even though my thumb is still numb from cutting it out - the next time I do this I need to find my Xacto knife, so that it will be easier to cut.



The banner also was very easy to make.  I found the heart banner at Walmart and for 24 shapes and the string it only costed a dollar (I now wish I would have bought a couple packages).  I found some burlap and linen hearts at Michaels Store.  Each package of the hearts came in three different sizes with 6 hearts per package.  I decided to use the two bigger sizes.  As Valentines has an uneven number of letters, I decided to make the middle banner heart with some crotchet hearts that I also found at Michaels Store.  Other items that I used were leftover ribbon (bought from Micheals) and letter tiles.  


To put together the banner.  I glued the linen or burlap heart to the red paper heart.  I then cut small mount of ribbon and glued these to the burlap or linen heart.  The last thing that was glued was the wooden letters.  The middle red heart, I glued 3 crotchet heart and the letter N.

The only thing that I think my mantel still needs is candles.  What is valentine's if you don't have the romantic ambiance of candles?



Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments :

Post a Comment

Please stop for a moment and leave a comment to let me know you have been here. I love reading all your comments.

I am sorry but I cannot accept Anonymous comments anymore as I am getting too many spam. I hope that you will comment with an ID user. Thanks for understanding.

I will not be accepting comments that have links on them. I will not delete them but because of google's stance on links I do not want to have any problems with my blog. Thank you for your understanding.