This and that: Valentine Trees

Monday, February 2, 2015

Valentine Trees

Trees are just for Christmas are they?  They can be used for any season depending on how you decorate them...  Well, I am not one to leave my Christmas tree up and decorate it with Valentine's decorations but I had some styrofoam cones that I bought to make at Christmas and never got them done.... So now they are going to be for my Valentine decorations.

 Valentine Trees

Valentine Tree / This and That  Valentine crafts, jute, fabric, burlap

As I had already had styrofoam cones that I bought before Christmas, some jute, fabric and burlap.  So I knew that I was going to use that to start with.   Then this past week I went to Michaels.  We don't have a Michael's store close, which is probably a good thing so when I get to stop I got all out. Luckily for me, all the Valentine's things where on sale... maybe not so great for me but I am sure Michaels were jumping for joy!

I found some paper twine, some cool ribbons and embellishments.  The fabric I had bought at Joann Fabrics long time ago and never used it.  So, I had a great time crafting this weekend.

Valentine Trees / This and That  Valentine crafts, burlap, fabric
Some of the materials I used

Materials (for all trees)
Styrofoam cones
Burlap
Fabric
Paper Rope
Ribbon
Embellishment (crocheted flowers)
Glue gun

Jute Tree

Directions:
Glue jute around styrofoam.  (You can also use twine)
Add embellishments to cone.  I used crocheted flowers and heart ribbon that I found at Micheals.
Make 2 - 4 loop bows and glue to top of the cone.

Paper Rope Tree
Paper Rope Tree / This and That  Valentine's craft, paper rope



Directions:
For this tree I used white and red paper rope that I found on sale at Micheals.
Starting at the bottom of the cone, glue paper rope around the tree until you get to the top.
To make the hearts, I cut different lengths of the rope.  Gluing the two ends at the top and then making a heart shape and gluing the bottom to the the cone.  Glue also the side of the hearts in spots.

Burlap and Fabric Trees
Burlap and Fabric Tree / This and That  Fabric, Burlap

Directions:
For this project I cut two different fabrics and burlap into approx 2.5 inch strips.
Fold the fabric and burlap into half and make cuts into the fabric about every inch, 2/3 up to folded area.
Glue strips around the cone.
I then cut one of the fabrics into 1/2 inch strip and made two bows and glued to to the top of the cone.
Both the fabric and burlap may fray, this can be left or you can cut the fray... I left mine.


Crafter Notes:  If using  a hot glue gun, watch your fingers as you glue.  You need to hold the fabrics, rope and twine close to the cone so that the glue sticks.   

6 comments :

  1. I love your burlap and fabric tree I made one last year using pipe cleaner trying to figure out one for this year thanks for the new ideas will have to try have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  2. These turned out so beautiful, love them so much. These are great to do with the kids while snowed in. Thanks for sharing your tutorial. Pinning/sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, I totally agree! Trees just aren't for Christmas!!! I love the idea of having my own little forest full of love! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think my granddaughters would have a blast making these! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving these cute Valentines Day trees. So cute and festive. Thank you for joining us at #purebloglove. We enjoy having you every week on Thursday night at 8PM through Sunday night. ~Cydnee

    ReplyDelete

Please stop for a moment and leave a comment to let me know you have been here. I love reading all your comments.

I am sorry but I cannot accept Anonymous comments anymore as I am getting too many spam. I hope that you will comment with an ID user. Thanks for understanding.

I will not be accepting comments that have links on them. I will not delete them but because of google's stance on links I do not want to have any problems with my blog. Thank you for your understanding.