This and that: Quinoa Oat Cereal

Thursday, January 8, 2015

Quinoa Oat Cereal

I am not an oatmeal person but I love this recipe.  It is full of goodness, sweetened with maple syrup and dried fruit and an added crunch of nuts.  This recipe is made overnight and heated in the morning, so a quick breakfast.

Quinoa Oat Cereal

adapted from Bon Apetit Magazine

Ingredients:  
  1. 1/4 cup dried fruit (I used cranberries and cut up dried apricots)
  2. 1/4 cup quinoa (well rinsed)
  3. 1/4 cup steel cut oats
  4. 1/8 cup raisins
  5. 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  6. 1/2 tsp total - cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom and cloves (see note)
  7. 2 cups of water
  8. Maple syrup
  9. Milk
  10. toasted walnuts, glazed pecans, toasted pumpkin seeds

  11. Directions:
  12. In a small pot bring dried fruit, raisins, quinoa, oats, salt, spices and water to boil.
  13. Cover and take off heat overnight.
  14. In morning reheat cereal over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally.  Add water if needed until cereal is warm about 5 - 8 minutes.
  15. Serve with maple syrup, toasted walnuts or pumpkin seeds, milk, yogurt or glazed pecans.

  16. Cook's Note:
  17. Spices:  I used 1/4 tsp of nutmeg and equal parts of cardamom, cinnamon and cloves to equal 1/2 tsp total of spices.  You could use the spices in the amounts that you want.  The original recipe only used cinnamon and cardamom.
  18. Use different dried fruits: cranberries, mango, goji berries, apples.  I think anything would work.  Adding fresh fruit would also give lots of flavour and sweetness.
  19. The crunch of the nuts and sees is a must ~ use walnuts, pecans, almonds, pumpkins seeds or hemp seeds.
  20. My Cereal did still have water in it in the morning but after cooking it for about 8 minutes the water had dissipated.  

   I loved this recipes... it has  sweetness and crunch and doesn't taste like oatmeal at all.  I didn't put any milk in it but hubby added condensed milk and vanilla yogurt to his.


  1. Image and video hosting by TinyPic

16 comments :

  1. Looks wonderful, hearty and healthy. xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this, a great way to eat protein in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet this smells amazing as it's coming together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH yeah! This is on my "to do" list for sure. Quinoa for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quinoa and oats is a beautiful combination. Love your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love having quinoa cereal for breakfast and yours looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love quick and healthy breakfasts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I keep seeing breakfast quinoa recipes and I really need to try them! This looks really tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perfect on a chilly morning!! Love that's it healthy, tasty and filling!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow! I love making oatmeal for breakfast so I might try this lovely adaptation tomorrow morning instead of my usual breakfast :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very interesting breakfast idea... even if like you, I am not a big fan of oatmeal ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the addition of walnuts, I'm sure that gives it a delicious crunch!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not a big fan of oatmeal either. It sounds very interesting and love the added crunch.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks delicious! It's funny, I came across your quinoa salad and then found this for breakfast! Great!

    ReplyDelete

Please stop for a moment and leave a comment to let me know you have been here. I love reading all your comments.

I am sorry but I cannot accept Anonymous comments anymore as I am getting too many spam. I hope that you will comment with an ID user. Thanks for understanding.

I will not be accepting comments that have links on them. I will not delete them but because of google's stance on links I do not want to have any problems with my blog. Thank you for your understanding.